Sunday 19 April 2009

Suburbs

There are some good suburbs, and there are some not so good suburbs. Guess where I stay.

Surrey Hills is a nice quiet suburb, yes, that much is true. But after Friday, I've had to reassess my own thinking about my place now.

1. There's no shopping centre nearby, oddly enough. No Coles, no Safeway, no Kmart. Very odd. And so my groceries come from 3 different places - Box Hill, Camberwell and anywhere from the CBD.

2. It's at least 25 minutes to the city by train. If you're late on a weekend, good luck - next train is in 30 minutes time.

I mean, at least places like Chadstone or Doncaster are still liveable - you've got somewhere to do your weekend shopping within 5-10 minutes walking. But I guess the advantage of staying somewhere where almost nobody has heard of is good - not many people are gonna bother you. I've lost count of the number of people asking me "Where's that suburb?" It's kinda repetitive now, I just say "Look it up, it's on the Lilydale/Belgrave lines."

Imma need a new place next year, gonna look for somewhere near the city. Any suggestions?

No comments: